THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

SHOPPING DAY

Two days later and several more things out of my kitchen, I needed to restock and get on with my new found celiac disease life. I was ready to hit the store. I first didn't realize how much money this was going to be.

I first went to the internet again to find out what it was going to take to restock flour, just not wheat flour. Who knew it takes like eight different kinds of flours plus two types of gum to replace wheat flour. Did I ever take wheat for granted. The ideal flour is wheat because not only does it hold the item together while baking, but it turns this warm color of brown. Some flours don't do anything other than give you bulk to your pastry. It needs certain gums to hold the item together. Plus wheat is so plentiful the price is so low, unlike all of the other unusual flours that need to be imported in. Now I know why wheat is so important in everyone's daily life.

I found a lot of products on the internet to replace wheat filled items. I thought this is going to be great, so many other people before me had the answers and all I had to do is go to the store and just pay for the items. Silly me.

I soon found myself bypassing so many products, and the items I thought I could figure out set me into a tailspin. I soon realized I would have to read to pick up every item to read the label on the back. After reading the majority of labels for one particular product they all had wheat in them. Mind you I only went looking for 20 items and two hours later was still looking for 20 items.

My husband called and asked when I would be home. I was still looking for those 20 items and said I would try to hurry. I was so discouraged.

I thought I am not going to give up, just go across the street to Whole Foods, what you didn't find at the regular store you will find there. I think the first stocking clerk that I found at Whole Foods thought I was going to crack, which I did. I barely held it together in finding 5 more out of the 20 items on the list, but still not finding everything. Even though the clerk was helpful it was still disappointing that even Whole Foods didn't have everything I needed. Of course I cried all the way home.

My husband had graciously made grilled chicken with fried potatoes. After being disappointed in looking at all of that food I can't have, I was so happy to be fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment