THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

FORCEFULLY MAKING EVERYONE LIVE MY LIFE

My sweet very energized bunny daughter in finding out that I had CD (like everyone that finds out) says to me, "Mom you can do this, your life will be so much better if you do and it really isn't that hard." So of course the next day we are taking a jaunt to the zoo with the grandkids and my daughters. We decided to stop at McDonald's. With that positive pump up from my daughter of how easy this was going to be I went up to the counter to order with all of the kids. I let them go first and I soon realized the clerk looks like a sergeant off of the show Major Payne. He is talking with this deep voice commanding the kids to tell him what they want. I almost started laughing, but I thought he needs this job just like everyone else and politely just watched him being a total lunatic. With my daughter's whisper in my ear I was the last one up and said to Sgt. McDonald "do you have a gluten free menu."

Now mind you my daughter has been a waitress for many years and one of the things you need to know in working at a restaurant by law, what is and isn't gluten free.

His response back is "what – what is gluten free". My ambition immediately deflated. I stumbled through the next comment and just said "give me a bunless grilled chicken breast." Sgt McDonalds was again thrown by the word "bunless". By the time I was done in ordering my meal I soon realized I was so thankful it was an American Caucasian taking the order, not some other ethnicity that couldn't speak English. That moment was bad enough.

The next day my husband I went to a Mexican restaurant after a long day of skiing. I again kept hearing my daughter in my ear and so I again asked the waitress if they had a gluten free menu. She said if you will wait I will be back. Here comes her manager. Her first words out of her mouth indicated even the manager was clueless. "Now it's your interpretation of gluten free, some people can eat wheat and some can't…" I knew then this was not going to be easy.

In spite of my daughter's good will, she was very angry and disappointed and so was I.

No comments:

Post a Comment