THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Thursday, April 8, 2010

CONTINENTAL

I have to explain my husband, I love him to pieces, but he is a man through and through. His mom knew only so many dishes to make and he was raised basically from the ranch, meat, potatoes, vegetables, and bread with strawberry jam. He has expanded out to rice over the years, but not much from there.

The funny thing is, he proclaims himself as being a modern kind of guy. When we have stayed in B&Bs or gone out to the nicest restaurants, he always seems to enjoy any particular food item placed in front of him. Do you think it is just because he is paying for it.

I can make the exact same food, put it on a plate (without white linen or silver serving pieces) and he hates it.

When I found out about my disease he immediately said, get the food out of the house that is going to hurt you. I was apprehensive about that notion, but I did what I was told by my faithful husband. I soon regretted being so agreeable. It wasn't for the food I was going to miss out on, but what he was going to miss out on.

My husband loves spaghetti, so I bought the rice noodles and thought how bad could this be. I was told by several websites not to over cook the noodles. So I followed the directions, brought it to a boil, waited the appropriate time and then tested one after another noodle to see when it was "el dente." I washed the noodles out and it looked like a concentrated ball of glob. As I was serving them, the noodles started falling apart and turning into pieces of rice. Lucky for me I bought spaghetti sauce that tasted extremely fresh and so it sort of deflected from the blob underneath.

For Easter I realized we could either go out for Easter brunch and be bugged by everything I wasn't sure of, or knew I couldn't eat or just stay home. So I chose to stay home and try to whip up my own Easter brunch. I had french toast casserole, corn pudding, and egg quiche in a hash brown crust. Afterwards I asked him how it was, he said very "continental."

Every week I have been trying at least one dessert either made by scratch or by a mix. Most of them haven't been so good. So last night I whipped up a strawberry clafoutis. You might ask what is a clafoutis. Well I asked the same question. It is like a cake and a custard with fruit in it. Of course I was going to use my gluten free flour, and splenda instead of sugar. I don't think it was totally the ingredients, but the flour tasted fine, it just wasn't sugary enough.

My husband loves strawberries so I thought for sure he would love it. It doesn't look like strawberry jam that comes right out of the store, but he kindly said it tastes continental. That was like saying it is okay, but not.

I think because my life is turning into more of an experiment, my husband in just him saying continental means he is trying to take it in stride where before he wouldn't have even taken a second bite.

Right now I really love my husband, he is so continental‼!

No comments:

Post a Comment