THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Thursday, April 8, 2010

A COOK I AM NOT

My daughter the other day said to me at the age of 26 that she didn't know how to cook. Now admittedly I can take some offense to that since I am not a real good cook myself, but knowing that most of her growing up years she lived with her father and step-mother, I am again blaming the stepmother.

But I have now realized that my life is sitting on the computer looking at every recipe that I use to order in a restaurant. I have realized the limits at restaurants of only 1 to 2 gluten free items. It's discouraging when you look at the menu and realize all the food you use to eat, but can't anymore.

My mother wasn't the best of cooks either. She made very few dinners really good and she never went beyond the meat (usually hamburger), potatoes and vegetables for dinner. It must be a depression thing. Spices and sauces were definitely not in her kitchen. So guess what I have to do is to teach myself.

Every chance I take I grab my daughter and I am trying to teach the basics to her along with recipes that I want to try. Food from restaurants that I use to love are first on the cooking block.

My daughter said maybe this was a good thing. Maybe it was an opportunity to make yourself healthier than you have ever been. I would like to think there is something good that comes out of this, if nothing else they can put on my headstone "she was a great cook" even if it is a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment