THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Recipe of Thanks

Yes Thanksgiving has come and gone. My husband and I always have quiet holidays just because I realized that when I was my children's age it was always so hectic to run from in-laws to parents to other grandparents etc. So it isn't easy giving up my children and grandchildren for holidays but you readjust and you see them in calmer circumstances. You get off of the pity party of not being with them and you just enjoy the day of not having to be at work, not to have to work to entertain others and just enjoy your day. It actually turns out a little selfish when you think about it.

Well this is the first year that I really had to think what am I going to eat for Thanksgiving. Two of our friends and us would go to a local bar in town that had 5 star rated Thanksgiving dinner for free. It was the Bar's way of thanking the community for supporting them.

During Thanksgiving we all live in a state of "you should be thankful for the things you have." Even though in so many ways I have shown through this blog the ways I have thanked God for different issues in my life, you still do think, what am I thankful for on this particular day.

Yes I could go through all the traditional thank yous, my husband, my kids... and undoubtedly they are thank yous in my life, but I am not going to.

You know what I am going to thank God for, is the knowledge in cooking and baking. After taking a few cooking classes and listening to my youngest the fact she doesn't know how to cook, I am amazed that people do not know this. Didn't their mothers teach them how to cook. Truly, but when I think about it my mother even though she cooked every day, she really didn't teach me either. Of course I dabbled a few times in baking cookies or other things, but my mother really didn't teach me, she just did it. I guess she figured I would learn by osmosis. My first husband stupidly said he loved rice and gravy that he use to make while he was on his own, and so guess what he got for at least several months after we got married, Rice and Gravy.

It took many years and several children and circumstances for me to feel you need to learn and so I guess I just started reading recipes and of course like any great cook, I burned a lot of dishes.

Still to this day I don't think I cook or bake real well and I am always amazed when something I actually cooked comes out really good.

Since this year I can't go out and enjoy 5 star food without picking through the dressing made out of bread, I will stay home and make my own dressing. I will make my own gravy, and desserts. It didn't take the celiac for me to learn how to at least try to cook and bake something good. It took a life time of trial and error.

So God, thank you for helping me along that path, I might not be the greatest cook, but I am okay and that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment