THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Power of Food

When life isn't just going your way at work it can be quite a low self esteem moment. I had been working with my present job for close to 12 years, 35 total years in my profession. I am not old by any mean, but I sure the heck not immature and young. I have learned from the best and had to deal with the worst.

A couple of months ago about the same time I was getting sick one of my bosses decided to leave. He was such a great boss. He was willing to treat me like a teammate and encouraged our conversations personally as well as on a professional level. Some bosses do one or the other, but usually not both.

I had also been working with three other bosses for the last 11 years. About the same time I lost my one boss, I gained another boss. He seemed extremely likable, but he wasn't going to be like Tom. I soon realized his manner with me was more on a professional level than ever a personal one, I appreciated that. I don't encourage personal aspects in my job, it's nice when they treat you as an equal even in their personal life, but it isn't necessary.

However, soon after he arrived I realized the guy was psychotic. He was mean, and rude even on a professional level. In my 35 years on the job, I had never been treated that meanly from someone other than one person and that person would have had me fired if she could of. I knew this gentleman didn't have decision regarding my employment with three other bosses in front of him, but he could spread enough gossip to make other people not trust me.

He fired me over the smallest little thing, I sweat the big stuff and when he did this, I knew he was psychotic and that it wasn't me.

My other bosses had wanted to take me to lunch for staff appreciation week. Even though in the past I have really appreciated this week. My office does make us feel like we are part of the team. They do want us to know we are appreciated. Knowing that most of the festivities are around food and most of the food I can't eat, I was not excited about this.

My senior boss asked if he could take me to lunch and I had already contemplated just telling him "no," but I didn't. Two months into this GF issue I had done my research and realized the number one place that I was dying to go to with a great GF menu was PF Chang's. I immediately piped to him I want to go to PF Chang's. Now he has never seen me so determined about a restaurant. He immediately gave me this smug answer "gluten free must be the new fad these days." I wasn't excited about the food issue that I have had to dance around with every restaurant, now I had to deal with a nonsympathetic unknowledgeable boss. I was dreading the whole thing.

The day came and my boss seemed all of sudden very receptive to my GF issues. Not only was he receptive, but he encouraged everyone that went to order off of the GF menu so we could all share. Even though AGAIN GF was the subject of lunch, that food was amazing. I had not gone to a restaurant that was so great with their menu, their staff, their answers to GF, with just about everything. For the bosses to not only be acceptant, but also encouraging, plus a fabulous restaurant, it made my whole two months of dealing with this issue.

I will be returning to PF Chang's real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment