THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Monday, January 10, 2011

Deep Fry

My husband sometimes can come up with the greatest ideas. At the great age of what, he has realized to listen to me is better than not and so there were several things under the Christmas Tree that screamed at me once I opened them, "HE IS LISTENING." One of the items was a deep fat fryer. It kind of threw me off when I opened it because I haven't been able to eat anything from a deep fat fryer since I went gluten free. Most everything has flour or bread crumbs wrapped around it.

Several months ago my husband and I went to one of our favorite restaurants "Spin Cafe." When we got there I realized that I wouldn't be able to eat any more of their wonderful onion rings. It made me sad. I went ahead and asked if they had a gluten free menu, which they did. When I got it, there in the middle it said "onion rings." I couldn't believe my eyes, I thought they were playing tricks on me. When I asked the waitress she said they are not made with wheat flour. I said "no way." She said, "oh so way." I asked her if they don't use flour what do they use which initiated her to go ask the chef. The chef told her he dips the onion rings in buttermilk and then into rice flour. I said to myself, I have rice flour, I can do this one day at the house.

Shortly after my daughter and I went to Thai restaurant. Not being too hip on Thai food, I know my love is for Chinese food which I have to specially cook for myself gluten free, I wasn't happy in going anyway, but I remember most Thai food have rice noodles and I thought I could do that. When I got there, there at the top of the menu was calamari specifically in Tapioca Flour. I was ecstatic. I haven't had calamari it seemed like in so long. It was wonderful.

I always wanted a deep fat fryer in my countertop like Paula Dean has on her show, but when I went gluten free there is no need to think I should need one. So when I got my deep fat fryer I realized I am in business.

Who said going gluten free you lose weight. That is so much crap. Now with my own deep fat fryer, not that I am going to be cooking every night, but I am sure just that little added fat in my diet will not be good. Who cares, for the things we have to sacrifice (i.e. cakes, cookies...), a little fat in my diet will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment