THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Freezer Floweith Over

I have especially realized over the last several months that my freezer is getting way to crammed. I have two fridges with two quite large freezers and both of them are ready to burst.

When you become gluten free, you realize if you are ever to eat again, it won't be in a restaurant, but of the results of your own hands. Well with the life span of certain flours and especially the cost associated with each one of those flours, you don't want to take the chance of one of them going rancid. So what do you do is put each one of them in a freezer container to be stored in your freezer. With several different containers you have at least 1/4 of your freezer taken up just with mixing ingredients for future baked goods.

Thanksgiving has just come and gone and with the leftovers, I have become more creative. I think in the past I would have froze some for future sandwiches, but with the lack of interest in bread, I had to come up with ways of saving for inventive taste buds. So what came out of it, was turkey pot pies with a cornbread/Parmesan top crust and a white turkey chili. I think both of them are going to be great for the future.

The other part of my cooking for the season turned out an abundance amount of different kinds of cookies. Some with wheat and some without gluten. I knew I wouldn't be able to eat 2,000 cookies and I really didn't want to save them already cooked so I froze a lot of dough, and I mean a lot of dough.

The other big thing that is taking up my freezer is soups. With the cold weather around us, I thought what would be great for quick but hot meals. It turned out about 10 different kinds of soups, but when you make a whole recipe of each one of those soups, it turns out several cups in different size containers totally taking over your freezer.

Sometimes I wish there was a good will for frozen foods, because right now I could donate a ton of food that I am sure someone would appreciate.

At least we will be good for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment