THIS BLOG HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED WITH ANY PHOTOS - UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE COLON AND BOWEL IMAGES

Friday, October 8, 2010

Husbands

When you put a husband and wife together, you truly have to remember that they came from separate lifestyles and worlds. My husband, as sweet as he is, does have his drawbacks. His mother (heaven forbid that I would bring up his mother's name) was raised off of the farm. The food they had is what they grew, so spices and incorporating different elements into a dish was not heard of. He became the posterchild for meat and potatoes. Anything different he scoffs at.

Now then there is me, I also came not essentially from a farm, but my mother never learned how to cook so we too did not incorporate too many spices into our cooking. But over many years and experiences I have learned good cooking takes incorporating a lot of ideas: spices, cooking procedures, and so on.

Now what unnerves me is, my husband and I do travel together, we don't do extensive traveling, but for either business or other personal reasons we have stayed in a variety of B&Bs, we have gone to fine restaurants, we have pretty much run the gambit of fine dining. Every time we do go into one of these establishments, and especially in front of other people, my husband will sit there rant and rave about how good the food is. I wonder if he does it just so that his money is worth more than just the food.

Since I became celiac, my whole life has turned upside down. The unusual is now my normal. I cannot go into any restaurants and just order anything because it might have flour in it. My husband is highly sensitive to this as well. As you can see he immediately told me to get all flour out of the house. So for me to eat out it is not the impossible, it is just the complicated that I don't really want to deal with.

So day in and day out I search for good and easy recipes that both I can eat and my husband can enjoy. Now mind you when I said his Mom cooked off the farm, well obviously she taught him not to say anything once he finished a meal in less than 10 min. I wonder if he thinks I am his mother.

So for example, after all day searching for a recipe while I am working, I run to the grocery store, spend $100 that I don't have readily available, run home, throw it together as fast I can so not to inconvenience my husband's eating timetable, (mind you he doesn't help in the kitchen), put it in front of him after he keeps asking is it done yet, watch him gulp it down and then leave his dirty dish on the counter on top of the dishwasher which he could have put it in, walk out and barely get the words out "thanks for dinner." He did respond as I am doing a s___ load of dishes in the sink, "are you going to eat." Now what part of this did I not get the impression he thought the wonderful, very delectable homemade tomato soup that I just put together, wasn't Campbell's soup out of the can!!

Husbands.

It is so good that I am really doing this for myself, and he happens to be reaping the benefits of at least having his belly full.

No comments:

Post a Comment